Creamy Avocado Pesto
- Prep Time 0:10
- 2 Comments
This creamy pesto is indulgent without being overly rich, thanks to heart-healthy avocado and just a touch of olive oil. Also, since it uses a fresh avocado for its creamy consistency, rather than pricey Parmesan cheese, it’s less expensive to make than traditional pesto.
It happens to be vegan, but don’t let that deter you (if you’re the sort of person usually deterred by vegan recipes)—it’s fabulous, particularly with fresh heirloom tomatoes. I also like it as a dip for vegetables or slathered over grilled fish or chicken. Use soon after making it though, as the fresh avocado will go brown if it sits for too long.
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced $1.50
- 1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves $1 for a bunch
- 1/3 cup pine nuts $2 – buy in the bulk section
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- juice of 1 lemon $0.50 for a whole lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- water as needed
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Total Cost of Ingredients $5
Combine avocado, basil, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor or blender. With machine running, slowly stream in the lemon juice, olive oil and water as needed to achieve a smooth pesto. Puree until completely blended and creamy.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Use immediately or keep, refrigerated, for up to 4 hours.