Cinnamon-Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 1:15
- Estimated Cost $11.50
- 14 Comments
There’s not much to this—it’s really just bread, milk, sugar, eggs and butter, plus chocolate chips and a kiss of cinnamon, but every time I make it, people freak out and beg me for the recipe. The secret is to use rich brioche or challah for the bread, which bakes with the milk and eggs into a mouthwatering custard.
A scoop of vanilla ice cream served alongside really puts this one over the top.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted (reserve the wrapper) $1 for a stick
- 1 (16-oz.) loaf of challah or brioche, sliced into 1/2"-thick slices $3.50 for a loaf
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips $2 for a 12-oz. bag
- 1 quart whole milk $2
- 3/4 cup sugar Pantry
- 1/2 tsp salt Pantry
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon $1.50 for 1 oz
- 6 eggs $1.50
Recipe Serves 6-8
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Use the wrapper from the butter to lightly grease a 9" x 11" baking pan.
- Layer the bread slices in the prepared baking pan, topping each layer with a scattered handful of the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon and eggs. Whisk just until incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture over the prepared bread and chocolate and gently press the bread down to ensure the milk-egg mixture is completely distributed.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for about 50 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.