Chocolate Cake with Fresh Mint Buttercream
- Prep Time 0:45
- Cook Time 0:22
- Estimated Cost $17.00
- 6 Comments
I think this is what peppermint patties are supposed to taste like—sweet, rich chocolate entwined with cool, crisp mint. Except you’ll find no peppermint extract or fake chocolate coating here. This cake is 100% real and 300% delicious. Perfect at the end of a dinner party or a picnic.
Note: you need a food processor for this recipe.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, divided (2 sticks) $2
- 1 cup white sugar Pantry
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder $4 for 8 oz.
- 2 eggs $1.50 for 6
- vanilla extract $4 for 4 oz.
- 1 1/2 cups flour Pantry
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder Pantry
- 1/2 tsp salt Pantry
- 1 large handful (about 1/2 cup) fresh mint leaves plus more for garnish $1 for a bunch
- 2 cups powdered (confectioner's) sugar $1 for 16 oz.
- 2 tbsp heavy cream $1.50 for 1/2 pint
- chocolate sprinkles or jimmies $2 for 4 oz.
Recipe Serves 6-8
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease an 8" round cake pan and set aside.
- In a food processor or stand-up mixer, cream 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter with regular sugar. Add cocoa powder, eggs and 2 tsp vanilla and beat until creamy. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until incorporated. Scrape into prepared pan and bake for 18-22 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center. Allow to cool completely (Note: this can be expedited by carefully removing cake from pan and placing it on a cool plate in the freezer for 10 minutes).
- While cake bakes, beat remaining butter in a food processor. Add mint, 1 tsp vanilla and powdered sugar and let machine run for 1-2 minutes. Add cream and run machine for another 1-2 minutes or until very creamy. Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Once cake has cooled, slice horizontally so that you have 2 thin round cakes.
- Place one cake round on a plate or cake stand. Cover completely with icing (top and sides) and place remaining round on top of iced cake. Ice thoroughly (top and sides) so that it looks like 1 uniform iced cake.
- Garnish with chocolate sprinkles and mint leaves. Cut into wedges and serve.