Chipotle Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 6 Comments
Rather than wax poetic about the irresistibility of the fusion of spicy chipotle peppers and sweet, juicy mango (ohh-so-tasty), let me just say that this recipe is easy. Even easier than making tacos with ground beef and taco seasoning from a packet—not to mention 1000 times more delicious. Even the most prudent taco snobs will love this one and the most terrified of kitchen-phobes will be able to cook it. Boo-yah.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into 1" pieces $4
- 1-2 chipotle peppers from a can packed in adobo, diced finely, plus 2 tbsp of the adobo sauce $1.50 for a 7 oz. can
- salt and pepper Pantry
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 medium red onion, half sliced, half diced finely $0.50
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 mango, diced into 1/4" pieces (see here for help) $1
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped finely $1 for a bunch
- juice of 1/2 lime $0.50
- 6-8 corn tortillas $1 for 30
Recipe Serves 3-4
- Combine the chicken with the pepper(s), sauce and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Mix well using clean hands or a spoon, making sure each piece of chicken is well-coated. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and garlic and cook for one minute, stirring occasionally. Add chicken and cook for for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check a piece of chicken to make sure it's fully cooked through. Turn heat down to low to keep chicken mixture warm.
- Toss together the diced onion, mango, cilantro leaves, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a dry grill pan or large frying pan over high heat and lightly grill the tortillas on each side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble tacos, place about 1/4 cup chicken mixture in a tortilla and top with the fresh mango salsa. Serve immediately.
- Hint: leftovers work well as a brown bag lunch. Simply wrap a few tortillas in foil and pack some of the chicken mixture in a thermos or other heat-safe container and assemble your tacos on the go.