Chicken Sausage and Black Bean-Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $12.50
- 4 Comments
These stuffed peppers are an excellent way to eat a fair amount of protein and vegetables without feeling over-stuffed (which is ironic, given that they are called “stuffed peppers”…). They’re easy to make, pretty to look at, and most importantly, extremely tasty. Serve alongside a pretty summer salad and a starch.
- 2 large green bell peppers $1.50
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained $1
- 2 fully-cooked chicken sausages, any flavor (I used mango), chopped $4
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped $1
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped $0.50
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 Roma tomato, chopped $0.50
- 1 cup broccoli florets $1
- 1/4 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded $2
- 1 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. Add sausage and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli, tomato, cilantro, and black beans. Season well with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the broccoli is slightly softened.
- Cut the peppers in half, lengthwise and remove the seeds and inner veins, being careful to keep the peppers intact. Fill each pepper half with the chicken-bean-vegetable mixture and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the peppers are cooked.