Chicken Ramen Soup
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:25
- 2 Comments
This is not your grandma’s chicken noodle soup (well…I guess if your grandma is Japanese it might be.).
Chewy, luxurious ramen noodles swim in a flavorful, savory broth with chunks of tender chicken, sweet carrot and an array of garnishes. Though the addition of a sliced hard-boiled egg might seem odd to those unfamiliar with the world of ramen, it adds a lovely richness to the soup.
Note that some chefs prefer to cook the ramen noodles in boiling water before adding them to the soup because the noodles release starch into the broth, thickening it. I actually like the richness it imparts and so I cook my noodles directly in the broth. Either way results in delicious soup though, so feel free to go either way.
- 1 quart reduced-sodium chicken broth $2
- 1 medium (2”) piece ginger, peeled and minced $0.50
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 3 tbsp soy sauce (or more to taste) Pantry
- black pepper Pantry
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped $2
- 2 carrots, sliced into thin strips (julienned) $0.50
- 8 oz. Japanese ramen noodles (ideally fresh) $1.50
- 2 eggs $1.50 for 12
- 1 Roma (plum) tomato, sliced $0.50
- 1 green jalapeño, sliced into rings $0.25
- 4 scallions (green onions), chopped $1 for a bunch
- 1 big handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped $1 for a bunch
Total Cost of Ingredients $10.75
Heat chicken broth plus 3 cups water in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and stir well. Season with soy sauce and black pepper and bring to a light boil. Add chicken thighs and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.
While the soup cooks, hard-boil the eggs. Rinse under cool water, peel the shells off and set aside.
Add the carrots and ramen noodles to the soup and cook until noodles are al dente (5-6 minutes for fresh noodles, slightly longer for dried).
Ladle the soup into bowls, making sure to divide the noodles and chicken evenly (I like to use tongs for this). Garnish with sliced egg, jalapeño, scallions and cilantro. Serve immediately,