- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:10
- 3 Comments
This easy recipe is a great way to get the taste of fresh sausage at home without having to bother with casings. By grinding the meat yourself in a food processor, you get meat that stays juicy and flavorful during cooking while still containing minimal fat. I like these on crusty french rolls, but feel free to shape the meat into burgers and serve on hamburger buns or even toasted bread.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts $6.50
- 1 small onion, diced $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed Pantry
- 1/2 mango, peeled and chopped $1.50 for a whole mango
- 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs $2 for 10 oz.
- 1 tsp ground cumin $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper Pantry
- olive oil for brushing grill or pan Pantry
- 4 sausage or hoagie rolls $2.50 for 8
- 1 avocado, gently smashed $1.50
Total Cost of Ingredients $17
In a food processor, pulse chicken until ground (6-8 times). Add onion, garlic, mango, bread crumbs, cumin, salt and pepper and process until well-combined, about 30 seconds. Shape mixture into 4 patties that mimic the shape of the buns.
Brush a grill or heavy frying pan lightly with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the sausages, working in batches if necessary, until no longer pink in the center (about 5 minutes on each side).
To assemble the rolls, split each roll lengthwise and smear both sides of the inside bread with avocado. Place a sausage in each roll and top with tomato, onions or more cilantro, if desired. Serve.
Makes 4 sausage sandwiches.