Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $8.25
- 26 Comments
This recipe came about when I bought all the ingredients needed for chicken potstickers…except for the won ton wrappers. Upon unloading my purchases I realized my mistake, yet had no interest in returning to the store to pick up the wrappers. I had a beautiful head of lettuce, fresh from the farmers market though, and so this crunchy, flavorful dish was born.
- 1 green jalapeño, seeded and diced $0.25
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 small (2") piece ginger, peeled and minced $0.50
- 1/3 cup soy sauce Pantry
- Juice of 1 lime $0.50
- 2 tbsp sugar Pantry
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil Pantry
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces $1.50
- 1 red bell pepper, diced $1
- 1/2 head green cabbage, diced $1
- 3 carrots, diced $1 for a bunch
- 4 scallions, sliced, plus more for garnish $1 for a bunch
- 1 head green-leaf lettuce, cleaned, end and core removed $1.50
Recipe Serves 4
- In a small bowl, combine jalapeño, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lime juice and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking (this should take about 2 minutes). Add bell pepper, cabbage, carrots and scallions and prepared sauce and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until vegetables cook and sauce begins to absorb.
- Serve the chicken-vegetable mixture on a platter, garnished with more scallions. Spread the lettuce leaves out and encourage diners to roll their own chicken-lettuce wraps.