- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:12
- 5 Comments
I really can’t believe I didn’t think of this sooner, but boy, am I glad I finally did.
The meatballs themselves couldn’t be simpler—just beef, garlic, parsley, egg, salt and pepper, encircling cubes of creamy mozzarella. All they need is a few minutes in the oven and they’re ready to go. Serve with toothpicks as an appetizer, over pasta, or in warm tomato sauce with shaved Parmesan on top, as a main course.
- 1 lb lean ground beef $3.50
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish $1 for a bunch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten $1.50 for 12
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper Pantry
- 4 oz. mozzarella, cut into 3/4” cubes $3.50 for 8 oz.
Total Cost of Ingredients: 9.50
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine beef, garlic, parsley, egg, salt and pepper. Use hands to combine well.
Shape mixture into 14-15 2” balls and press one cheese cube into each ball, sealing it inside.
Arrange stuffed balls on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. A bit of cheese may ooze out the sides—this is fine.
Serve meatballs on their own or in warm tomato sauce.
Makes 14-15 meatballs (usually serves 3-4).