- Prep Time 2 minutes
- Cook Time 8 minutes
- Estimated Cost $3.50
- 82 Comments
If you are into eating gluten-free, paleo, primal, low-carb, or just lots of vegetables, this "rice" is a miracle. A tasty, tasty miracle.
At just five grams of net carbs per serving (that's carbohydrates grams minus fiber grams), and the fluffy, grain-like deliciousness of a cooked grain, plus the powerhouse nutrition that is cauliflower, it's pretty hard to beat. Also, unlike regular rice, which usually takes at least 20 minutes to cook, this is ready in about 10. And if you have a food processor? Couldn't be easier.
It starts out like this.
That's right. It's cauliflower. Don't be scared, please. Stay with me.
Once the leaves have been removed, it gets chopped up. All of it. Even the tough inner core, which we normally remove.
Next, it goes for a spin in the food processor.
Until it looks like this.
Next, it goes into a pan with a little olive oil and garlic (optional).
A shower of freshly chopped herbs and some salt and pepper is all it needs to be plate-ready.
I am so, so excited about this one. I can't wait to stir in some ricotta and Parmesan to make a lightened-up risotto, or to cook it with peas, carrots, scrambled eggs, ginger, and soy sauce or tamari, for a healthy fried rice.
Have you made cauliflower rice before? Any tips or flavor combination suggestions? Let me know!
- 1 head cauliflower $3.50
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped optional
- 1 handful cilantro or parsley, chopped optional
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper (or more to taste) Pantry
Recipe Serves 4
- Remove the cauliflower's outer leaves and chop it into chunks (no need to remove the inner core--just cut it up along with the florets).
- Place the chunks in a food processor.
- Pulse until the cauliflower resembles a fine grain. You may need to work in batches if your food processor is on the small side.
- Heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
- Add the cauliflower rice and stir well to distribute the garlic.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes, or until the cauliflower rice is lightly browned in patches.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro or parsley as well as the salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.