Soft Buckwheat Pretzels, 3 Ways
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $14.00
- 45 Comments
My friend James might be my favorite person to eat with, probably because he just enjoys it so damn much. He is always excited to try new, interesting restaurants, foreign foods and exotic drinks. He absolutely loves the soft pretzel at Monk’s Kettle in San Francisco and orders it whenever we go there. This version is nuttier, thanks to the protein-rich buckwheat flour. Plus, I figured I’d jazz things up a little with sage, Parmesan, and sesame seeds.
Note: if you can’t find buckwheat flour, substitute wholewheat pastry flour.
- 1 1/2 cups flour plus more for kneading Pantry
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour $3.50 for 22 oz.
- 1 tbsp sugar or honey Pantry
- 1 tsp salt Pantry
- 1 packet yeast $1.50 for 3 packets
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus more for baking sheet, bowl and brushing Pantry
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sage leaves $1
- 2 tbsp. shredded Parmesan plus more for sprinkling $3
- 1 tbsp. freshly-ground black pepper Pantry
- 2 tbsp. large-grain salt, like sea salt or rock salt $2 for 12 oz.
- 1 egg, beaten $1.50 for 6
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds $1.50 for 1 oz.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet lightly with olive oil. Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water in a mixing bowl. Add sugar/honey and set aside for 5 minutes. Add regular salt, olive oil, and both flours until a soft dough forms.
- Knead on a floured surface 10-15 times or until dough becomes elastic. Return to bowl with a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking. Allow to rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Once dough has risen, punch down and return to the floured surface. Knead dough lightly and divide into 3 even pieces.
- Roll the first piece out into a 6" circle. Sprinkle the sage, Parmesan and black pepper over the top of the circle. Fold in half, sandwiching the sage-Parmesan-pepper mixture. Press down to seal in. Begin to knead as usual until the sage-Parmesan-pepper mixture is distributed throughout the dough. Divide the sage-Parmesan-pepper dough into 4 even pieces. Roll out into 4 12" ropes and roll into a pretzel shape (or other desired shape). Transfer to baking sheet.
- Roll remaining 2 pieces of dough into 8 pretzels and transfer to baking sheet.
- Use a pastry brush to lightly brush egg onto the pretzels. Sprinkle additional Parmesan atop the Parmesan-sage pretzels, sprinkle 4 of the plain pretzels with sesame seeds and leave the remaining 4 plain.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until pretzels are golden brown. Brush the plain pretzels with olive oil and sprinkle with the large-grain salt.
- Serve plain or with mustard for dipping.