Broccoli-Parmesan Fritters over Red Pepper Sauce
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $13.50
- 4 Comments
My roommate is always eating these frozen broccoli-cheddar nugget things. They look and smell good, but I’ve always suspected that I could make a tastier homemade version. I used fresh broccoli (I actually used purple broccoli, which looks and tastes just like regular broccoli except for the fact that its florets are purple-ish and therefore cool-looking) and swapped out the cheddar for Parmesan (though I suspect cheddar would also be delicious). The easy-as-pie red pepper sauce is a welcome addition of color and flavor.
- 1 small head broccoli, chopped into very small chunks $1
- 1/2 small red onion, diced $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten $1.50 for 6
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tbsp milk $1.50 for 1 quart
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish $4 for 12 oz.
- 1 cup fine cornmeal $2 for 16 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1 12-oz jar roasted red peppers, packed in water $1.50
- 1 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- vegetable oil for frying Pantry
Recipe Serves 3-4
- Combine broccoli, red onion, garlic, eggs, red pepper flakes, 2/3 cup milk, Parmesan, cornmeal, salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon. Stir until well-incorporated. The batter should resemble a thick, chunky pancake batter. Set aside and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat about 1/4" vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Use a tablespoon to drop batter in 3-tbsp increments into the hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- To make the sauce, combine the red peppers, olive oil and remaining milk in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, just until warm. Puree in a food processor, blender, or using an immersion blender until smooth.
- To serve, spoon a little bit of the sauce on a plate and place a few fritters on top of the sauce. Garnish with more Parmesan or a little fresh parsley if desired.