- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $10.50
- 39 Comments
I invented this recipe while babysitting for some awesome kids who were, uncharacteristically, refusing to eat vegetables. A little sprinkle of cheddar cheese and a whir of the immersion blender was pretty much all their broccoli needed to turn into a delectable soup. They devoured it and second helpings were sweetly demanded.
- 3 cups broccoli florets (approx. 2 heads, trimmed) $3
- 1 small onion, diced $0.50
- 1 tbsp olive oil Pantry
- 1 15-oz. can chicken or vegetable stock $1
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and diced $1.50
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus more for garnish $3 for 10 oz.
- 2/3 cup milk $1.50 for 1 pint
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2-4
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli and potatoes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add broth and water to cover and cook, with the lid on for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft enough to cut with a spoon.
- Add milk and puree using a blender, food processor, or immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir in cheddar cheese until melted and fully distributed. Ladle into bowls and garnish with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.