- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:15
- 1 Comment
This quick and very tasty dish was invented one night when I was in a scramble to feed a couple of friends before heading out for the night. My refrigerator contained little more than the ingredients you see below, but the resulting combination was so good, I’ve cooked it several times since. It makes an easy and satisfying weeknight dinner and I also love to crack a few eggs into it, which I cook just until the whites set. Sliced plums, nectarines, pears or even apples would make a nice substitute for the figs.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped $0.50 for a whole onion
- 4 links raw bratwurst $3.50
- 6 figs, quartered lengthwise $4 for a pint
- 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese (jack, fontina or muenster would also be fine) $3.50 for 8 oz.
- freshly-ground black pepper Pantry
Total Cost of Ingredients $11.50
Heat oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown.
To the onions, add the raw bratwurst and use a wooden spoon to break it up, encouraging it to brown in crumbles. This should take 6-7 minutes.
Once the bratwurst is mostly-cooked, add the figs, skin-side-down. Top with the shredded cheese and cook just until the cheese is melted.
Top with a pinch or two of black pepper and serve immediately.