Best Macaroni and Cheese with Parmesan Crust
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $16.00
- 13 Comments
This is my absolute best macaroni and cheese recipe. At least according to my palate, the seasonings are just right and the consistency is creamy enough to accomplish the comforting that macaroni and cheese is supposed to—without making my dinner guests pass out in a cheesy-carb coma. And speaking of carbs, I actually prefer to make this dish with Dreamfields macaroni elbows. Dreamfields is a brand of low-carbohydrate pasta that actually tastes like regular pasta, but has only 5 net grams of carbs per serving. This recipe obviously works with regular macaroni elbows, but the way I see it, if you’re going to be eating cheese sauce, it doesn’t hurt to eat it over a healthier pasta. And the sophisticated Parmesan crust is so good, you won’t even miss breadcrumbs.
Mac and cheese makes a tasty meal on its own, but I like to serve it with grilled sausages and a green salad.
- 1 lb Dreamfields macaroni elbows (or regular macaroni elbows) $2
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter $1 for a stick
- 4 tbsp flour Pantry
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese $3.50 for 10 oz.
- 1 cup milk $1.50 for a pint
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1/4 tsp powdered mustard $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese $4 for 10 oz.
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a large rectangular casserole pan or 4-6 individual oven-proof dishes (such as small souffle dishes).
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to directions. Drain, return to pot and set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in flour until a sticky dough forms. Cook dough, whisking constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in milk until a thick white sauce forms, continuing to whisk. Whisk in nutmeg and mustard powder. Gradually add cheese, and whisk until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, continuing to whisk.
- Use a spatula to scrape all of the sauce into the cooked pasta and stir gently until all pasta is coated. Transfer pasta-cheese mixture into the prepared pan(s) and top with shredded Parmesan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese on top bubbles and is lightly-browned in spots. Serve hot.