- Prep Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $5.50
- 35 Comments
When I finally realized that beets, with their dense-yet tender texture and sugary-yet-earthy flavor could not be a more perfect addition to basic pico de gallo, I slapped my hand across my forehead in disbelief that I had never though to try this before. About ten minutes later, when I took that first spoonful of the citrusy, summer-sweet concoction, it was like when I first figured out that I could make cinnamon rolls out of pizza dough. Or when I discovered that it’s possible to hide people on Facebook.. Ingenious.
Spoon it over grilled burgers, steak, chicken or fish, serve with tortilla chips or do as I did and eat it with a spoon.
- 6 baby beets, boiled, peeled and chilled (or 1 package of "Trader Joes' Steamed and Peeled Baby Beets), diced $2
- 2 ripe Roma tomatoes, cored and chopped $1
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (discard the seeds for less-spicy salsa) $0.25
- 3 scallions (green onions), chopped $1 for a bunch
- 1 small clove garlic (or 1/2 large clove), finely minced Pantry
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped $1 for a bunch
- juice of 1 lime $0.25
- salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 6
- Toss all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups salsa.