Bacon-Parmesan Stuffed Mushrooms
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $11.00
- 14 Comments
Crispy, salty bacon comes together with nutty Parmesan and juicy mushrooms in this gloriously easy dish. These are made from the simplest of fresh ingredients and require highly uncomplicated techniques. I love to serve them as appetizers or over dressed fresh greens as a main course salad.
- 1 lb whole white button mushrooms, cleaned $2
- 3 slices raw uncured bacon $1
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1/2 onion, chopped $0.50
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs $1.50 for 8 oz.
- 1 large handful fresh parsley leaves, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten $1.50 for 12
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for sprinkling $3.50 for 10 oz.
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper Pantry
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Gently pull the stems from the mushrooms (I like to do this by gently inserting my thumb between the cap and the stem and carefully rotating North, West, East, South to gently loosen the stem and ensure you pull the whole thing out). Finely chop the stems and set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon on both sides until crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel, leaving the bacon grease in the pan, reducing heat to medium.
- Cook the garlic and onion in the bacon grease for 1-2 minutes, or until very fragrant. Add the chopped mushroom stems and bread crumbs and cook, stirring frequently until mushroom stems soften, 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Crumble or chop the bacon and add to the slightly cooled filling. Add chopped parsley, egg, Parmesan, salt and pepper and stir gently to combine well.
- Fill each mushroom cap with 2-3 tsp of the filling, depending on size. Top each stuffed mushroom with a tiny sprinkle of Parmesan and transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until filling is crisp on top and mushrooms soften and brown slightly.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Makes about 30 stuffed mushrooms.