- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:04
- 24 Comments
I got up this morning to make toast with avocado for breakfast. Apparently, however, I can’t just make toast with avocado without doing fancy things to it.
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and gently mashed (leave some chunks) $1.50
- 2 tbsp finely-chopped red onion $0.50 for a whole onion
- 2 tbsp drained capers, plus more for garnish $2 for a 4-oz. jar
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- juice of 1/4 lemon $0.50 for a whole lemon
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread or 8 baguette slices $1.50 for a loaf
Total Cost of Ingredients $6
In a small bowl, mix together the avocado, onion, capers, 2 tbsp olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Drizzle the tops of the bread slices liberally with olive oil and heat a dry grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the bread, oiled side down, for 3-4 minutes, until toasted with grill marks.
Top grilled slices with the avocado mixture and garnish with a little drizzle of olive oil and a few capers.