$5 Dessert: Sweet Crepes With Strawberries and Black Pepper
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $5.00
- 9 Comments
It may sound funny for dessert, but strawberries and black pepper are actually a match made in heaven. This unpretentious yet impressive dessert is the perfect ending to a special meal when you don’t want to slave away in the kitchen. It is quickly whipped up and features a nice amount of pantry ingredients.
- 1/2 cup flour Pantry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten $1.50 for 1/2 dozen
- 1 dash salt Pantry
- 6 large strawberries, sliced $2
- 1/3 cup whole milk $1.50 for a half-pint
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided Pantry
- 4 tbsp sugar, divided Pantry
- black pepper to taste Pantry
- Whisk together flour, egg, salt, milk, 1tbsp of the vegetable oil and 2 tbsp of the sugar until it resembles very thin pancake batter. Allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat and add the remaining 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 tbsp water. Gently stir until the sugars melt into a thin syrup. Add a few grinds of black pepper and the strawberries and stir gently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tbsp vegetable oil in an 8" skillet over high heat. Pour in half of the crepe batter and use a spatula to ensure it is evenly distributed. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes or until the top has mostly dried. Very carefully flip the crepe over (it should be thin--you might need 2 spatulas for this) and allow it to cook for about a minute on the other side.
- Once the crepe is cooked, repeat with the remaining batter and transfer each crepe to its own plate. Add half of the strawberry mixture, reserving a little of the syrup to drizzle over the top. Roll the crepe and cut in half if desired. Garnish with additional black pepper and a bit of the strawberry syrup left in the pan.